Saturday, May 23, 2009

Beginning "The Road"

So I started reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthey. He's kind of a big deal. Like a living legend type of writer. This is my first experience with Cormac, because he's a southern gothic/western writer, and that's typically not my bag. For that case, neither is post-apocalyptic writing such as "The Road," but I decided to give it a go. This novel won the Pulitzer in 2007 for best fiction, and is highly praised by all of the lit critics that have cred, so post-apocalyptic fiction, here I come! I'm only on page 40, and I'm already in love. McCarthy. is. a. pure. master. of. the. English. language. Read and adore these quotes:

"A corpse in a doorway dried to leather. Grimacing at the day. He pulled the boy closer, Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. You forget some things, don't you? Yes. you forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget." p 12

"The lake dark glass and windowlights coming on along the shore. A radio somewhere. Neither of them had spoken a word. This was the perfect day of his childhood. This the day to shape the days upon." p 14

"It's snowing, the boy said. he looked at the sky. A single gray flake sifting down. he caught it in his hand and watched it expire there like the last host of christendom." p 17

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. He has this amazing poetic/prose style of writing that I've never seen before. He doesn't use quotation marks, uses strange words, and combines words incorrectly. I'm not sure why, but it's different and kind of wonderful. 

Overall, read the stinking book. Even if you don't like post-apocalyptic storylines. Even if you don't think you can appreciate the style. Even if you don't like reading anything. It's worth it, and I'm only on page 40. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home