Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Erin vs. Housewivery: Floors Edition


In a moment of acute stupidity followed by several hours of misguided, OCD type determination, I did something that I have never done before and will never do again. I scrubbed my tile floors. Like, hands and knees type scrubbing. Each tile, one. at. a. time. In hindsight, there were some definite red flags concerning this decision. 
I first had the idea while watching an episode of The Tudors (which, by the way, Justin loves and I've grown cold toward. I can't stand King Henry VIII, and will never forgive him for his treachery. He's a bad, bad man.) Anyway, in one scene of The Tudors, there was a servant scrubbing the floors in a lovely dress. Her hair was perfect, she had a smile on her face, and there she was, just polishing the floors. I thought to myself, "wow, I'll bet those floors are impeccably clean. Maybe I should do that...doesn't look that hard!" hmmm. I'll spare you the wondering and tell you that it was not easy, I was not wearing a lovely dress, my hair is a sweaty mess, and I did not have a smile on my face. Oh, the inaccuracies of TV. 
The next red flag occurred just minutes before making my ill advised decision. I was reading Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook (which is the most amazing book ever. I use it all the time! If you don't have it, you're not truly living! Here's a link to see it http://tinyurl.com/pjreyq) I was reading about mopping, and she wrote something to the effect of, "if you've neglected mopping your floors regularly (I have) you might consider putting a little elbow grease into it and hand scrub them. It will make it easier to keep your floors clean for an extended period of time." Great! Just like that lady on The Tudors! I'm in! Well, "elbow grease" is a little different in Martha Stewart terms than it is in Erin Cowan terms. 
The good news of this event is that I'm pretty sure I'm exempt from about a month at the gym. Surely I burned about 9 million calories. Ok, maybe a little dramatic, but seriously, Bob and Jillian on The Biggest Loser are missing a serious opportunity for some extra calorie burn! Also, my floors really are perfect. I've included a picture to show off my hard work. Notice the cat, who's about to screw it all up. NO CLEO! haha. Finally, I have divined an effective punishment for my future children when they do something really bad. This will be an effective parenting tool for me in the future. 

Have a happy Wednesday, and don't get any hare brained ideas of hand scrubbing your floors!! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home